Posted On March 4, 2022
Title: Reading clocks to the nearest 5 minutes.
Time Frame: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Materials: Kahoot, anchor chart, time games, and “Writing and Producing Time”.
Objectives: Students will understand that… time should be read on an analog and digital clock and each display hours and minutes.
Students will know… Time is repeated twice a day, referred to as AM and PM.
Students will be able to….Read both the analog and digital clock to the nearest 5 minutes using appropriate terminology.
Formative Assessment: Kahoot and informal assessment during whole class practice and group work.
Activities and Procedures
1. Introduction: Review the analog and digital clock, where hour and minute can be found on both, zones of hours on analog clock, skip count of minute hand on analog clock, appropriate terminology (o’clock, half past, quarter ‘til, quarter after), and AM and PM.
2. Whole group activity: Telling time Kahoot! Prior to beginning, practice silent celebration. Modeling and discussion takes place after each question.
3. Group activity: Groups are determined by mathematics capabilities. Groups change stations every 15 minutes.
- Time games (Tick Tock, Around the Clock, or Time Bump)
- Seat work “Writing and producing time”
- Small Group – writing and producing time practice
4. Conclusion: Students are asked what was challenging and what was easy. Review of digital and analog clocks takes place. Remaining questions are addressed. Students are told they will continue practicing this skill next class as well as be tested on their abilities.