Literacy – Vocabulary (Tiered Approach)
Fourth Grade – 1 hour
VSOLs: 4.4 The student will expand vocabulary when reading.
e) Develop and use general and specialized vocabulary through speaking, listening, reading, and writing
- Students will understand words have different meaning.
- Students will know how to use words to express meaning.
- Students will be able to develop their vocabularies by reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
- Frayer Model Template
- Amina’s Voice
- Frayer Model Worksheets
- Informal observation during discussion
Introduction (20 mins):
- Gather students around the carpet, ensuring all students have a good view of the book and teacher.
- Provide students who may need their own copy of the book a copy of Amina’s Voice.
- Briefly introduce the three tiers, providing examples of each word. Explain to students they will write down words they think belong in each tier as we read.
- Introduce Amina’s Voice and begin reading.
- While reading, stop and point out words that would fit into the various tiers. Discuss the meaning of each word and continue reading.
Main Activity (30 mins):
- After reading, break students into groups to discuss which words they’ve written down and which tier they placed each word in.
- After some discussion, introduce the Frayer Model template explaining they will be focusing on tier 2 words.
- Take a sample tier 2 word and model it within the Frayer Model for the class. Complete again as a class for a new tier 2 word.
- Break students into small groups provided Frayer model templates. Explain students will be completing the template as a group and each member will provide one tier 2 word.
- Remind students they can use a copy of the book as well as a dictionary to help decode their words.
- Provide ELL students with a translating dictionary as extra support.
- Informally assess students as they work
Conclusion (10 mins):
- Bring students together on the carpet.
- Ask groups to share what words they discussed and allow students to share their Frayer Model Worksheets.
- Host a short discussion about how they completed the template.
- Review the three tiers and collect templates.
Examples of tiered words from the text Amina’s Voice :